New Delhi: Sports ministry on Friday issued show cause notice to Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) for its alleged maltreatment of Indian athletes during the ongoing Paralympic in London.
“On the basis of petitions received from participating paralympic athletes and others, show cause notice has been issued to the PCI,” said sport minister Ajay Maken. The ministry has asked the PCI to reply to the show cause notice in the next 15 days.
Incidentally, the president of the PCI, Sultan Ahmed is a union minister of state for tourism. Admitting that the Indian contingent in London had faced some problems, Ahmed said he had already constituted a three-member enquiry committee to look into the issue.
“I can assure you that whosoever is found guilty, would be taken to task,” Ahmed told The Telegraph. The secretary general of the PCI, Ratan Singh, has accompanied the Indian contingent to London as the chef-de-mission. He has been accused of taking his son as a team official.
Among Indian athletes, lifter Farman Basha, an Arjuna awardee, has complained that the PCI officials are misusing the Games Village passes issued by the organisers for escorts and coaches.