Calcutta: England batsman Jonathan Trott has been ruled out of the final weeks of the domestic season with a broken hand, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said in a release, on Wednesday.
However, he is expected to be fit for next month’s tour of India.
Trott suffered the injury when hit on the right hand while batting against South Africa fast bowler Dale Steyn during England’s six-wicket win in the fourth one-day International at Lord’s on Sunday.
The injury was severe enough for the South Africa-born right-hander to be ruled out of the fifth and final one-day international at Trent Bridge on Wednesday, where he was replaced by Jonathan Bairstow in a series England lead 2-1.
An ECB statement said Trott had been sidelined with “an undisplaced fracture of the third metacarpal in his right hand”.
It added: “Although initial X-rays were clear, a subsequent MRI scan revealed a fracture at the base of his third metacarpal.
“No intervention is required and the 31-year-old should be able to resume batting in three to four weeks and is expected to available for the tour of India next month.”
Trott was not included in England’s squad for the defence of their World Twenty20 title in Sri Lanka later this month so his injury has no bearing on that tournament.
But it does mean he will be unavailable to play in Warwickshire’s domestic 40-over final against Hampshire at Lord’s a week on Saturday.
However, England will take heart from the fact that one of their senior batsman is set to be fit for a tour of India where they will be without former captain and opener Andrew Strauss, following his retirement from all cricket, and could still be missing international exile Kevin Pietersen.
England are expected to announce their squad for the India tour next week.