|John Daniel Gomes
Pushpa Gomes lost her only child to dengue last Saturday. She prays nobody else does but fears that those who can prevent this tragedy are still in slumber.
Pushpa’s son John Daniel, 9, died of dengue-induced shock at Chittaranjan Sishu Sadan in Hazra within four days of writing an examination in school.
“Jar gelo shei bojhe (Only someone who has lost knows what it is like),” she said on Tuesday.
Pushpa thinks John would be alive today if the authorities weren’t so “casual” about preventing vector breeding.
The Ekbalpore resident tells Metro why she feels their attitude hasn’t changed even after her son’s death.
Some men came to spray some chemicals outside our house on Monday. I had not seen any such spraying activity in this neighbourhood earlier.
Just when I thought that my son’s death had made a difference, their old attitude showed up. The spraying machine they had brought wouldn’t work. They went away without doing anything.
My son is no more but the municipality people haven’t learnt their lesson. Is this the way to tackle a serious disease like dengue that has killed so many people already?
The men who couldn’t spray chemicals (larvicide) on Monday said they would come back with a machine that works the next morning. Nobody did.
Another team came to our locality today and poured phenol into some drains. Their stock soon ran out.
Political leaders have started dropping by now. What’s the use? I have lost my son. No words of comfort can bring him back.
My son was a student of Class V at Loyola School in Ekbalpore. He wrote an exam last Wednesday. He returned around 2pm and went to sleep. In the evening, I noticed he had fever, so I sent him to bed early that night.
When the fever did not recede on Thursday morning, I took him to a doctor, who advised a malaria test. The report came on Friday. It was negative but he was still running a temperature.
On the doctor’s advice, I took him to Chittaranjan Sishu Sadan on Friday. He was immediately admitted and some tests were done.
When the results came on Saturday morning, we got confirmation that John had dengue. But he didn’t give us much time to treat him. Around 7.30pm on Saturday, my son died.
I have lost my son but I appeal to the civic officials and all who matter: wake up now and take steps to curb dengue, save others from dying.
As told to Subhajoy Roy