Three snakebite victims from around East Singhbhum turned up at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College and Hospital on Friday morning.
While the condition of 23-year-old Lakhi Sabar and 38-year-old Bharat Mandal was stated to be critical, 11-year-old Surjeet Mahto was said to be serious but stable.
Sabar remained admitted in the hospital’s ICU, while Mandal’s family were arranging to shift him to Tata Main Hospital in view of his deteriorating condition.
All three were bitten by common kraits, known as chitti locally.
Sabar was bitten as she slept in her Surda village home in Musabani block, about 40km from Jamshedpur.
Her husband Sudama was woken up by her scream around 1am. “As I got up I saw a chitty slithering towards the door. Within minutes, my pregnant wife was writhing in pain,” said Sudama, who rushed her to MGM where she was administered an anti-venom.
Surjeet was bitten when he was about to go for tuition at Ghagra village in Patamda, about 35km from Jamshedpur on Thursday evening.
“This was at 7pm. As my son picked up his bag to go for tuition, a snake, which was sitting inside it, bit him on his left arm. It was a chitty,” said Santosh Mahto, the boy’s father.
Mahto, a farmer, said initially the family rushed the boy to a snake charmer in the village, but as his condition deteriorated, they brought him to MGM in the morning.
Meanwhile Mandal, an employee of Adhunik Power and Steel in Gamharia, suffered the snakebite as he was worked in the plant. Co-worker Suresh Sharma said Mandal was bitten at 6.30am as he picked up a wooden plank from the ground on the premises.
“Others saw a chitty disappearing into a nearby bush,” said Sharma.
Doctors on emergency duty said Mandal was administered as many as seven vials of anti-venom injections, but his condition continued to deteriorate.
Hospital superintendent S.S. Prasad said keeping in mind the monsoon, the hospital had stocked up on 32 vials of anti-venom.