CRISPY PAPAD ROLL
- Papad (dampened with little water and kept aside) - 6 pieces
- Potato (boiled and mashed with jeera powder) - 2 to 3
- Chaat masala - 1 tsp
- Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
- Peanuts (crushed), salt, lime juice and green chilli (chopped) - to taste
Make small finger-shaped rolls with mashed potato mixture and roll into the dampened papad to form papad rolls, one at a time. Deep fry them in hot oil and serve immediately.
- Prawn (medium sized, de-scaled, cleaned and flattened with tail intact) - 4-5 lGinger-garlic paste - 4 tsp
- Green chilli paste - 2 tsp lLime juice - 1tbsp
- Flour - 1 tbsp lEgg - 2 lSalt - to taste lOil - for frying
Marinate the prepared prawns with lime juice and other masala for two hours. Take them out and toss in flour evenly. Beat the eggs thoroughly with a pinch of salt. Now dip each prawn in the beaten egg prepared and fry in very hot oil.
CHHOLA PALAK PAKODA
- Grams (with skin) - 1 cup lChana dal - ½ cup
- Onion (chopped) - 1 lGinger, garlic, green chilli - as desired
- Amchur powder - a little lPalak (chopped) - 2 tbsp
- Coriander (chopped) - 1 tbsp lFresh bread crumbs -1tbsp
- Garam masala, salt - to taste
Soak the grams and chana dal overnight. Grind them together with ginger, garlic, chopped onion and green chilli.
In a kadai put two tablespoons of oil, add the soaked chhola and chana dal and cook till dry. Remove into a dish. Now add all the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Prepare small flat roundels and deep fry them golden brown. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
KEEMA BEGUN KHASA
- Brinjal (medium size) - 2 lChicken (minced) - 250g
- Onion - 2, lGinger-garlic paste, tomato ketchup, garam masala, chilli powder, chopped mint leaves, salt - as desired
For batter -
- Flour - 2 tbsp lCorn flour - 1 tbsp lEgg white - 1
- Baking powder - a pinch lOil - 1tsp
In a food processor make a fine paste of the minced chicken, with other ingredients except the brinjal. Now cook the mixture with 2 tablespoons of oil, adding a cup of water till done and dry.
Cut each brinjal into two pieces length wise. Scoop out the flesh from the cut pieces and fill up with the minced chicken mixture carefully.
Now prepare the batter mixing the batter ingredients with cold water. Dip and cover the brinjal pieces thoroughly in the batter and deep fry till golden brown.
- Chalkumro (peeled and cut into slices of about 1 inch thickness) - 1 piece, 500g
- Mustard paste, grated coconut, grated garlic, green chilli, salt - as required
- Besan - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Baking powder - ½ tsp
- Posto - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
Slit the chalkumro slices in the middle almost up to the end but not completely, keeping the two pieces jointed. Parboil and keep aside. Prepare a mixture of mustard paste, grated coconut, grated garlic, green chilli and salt. Fill the mixture in between two slit pieces of chalkumro. Keep aside. Make a batter with the batter ingredients and beat well.
Dip each slice in this batter covering well and deep fry golden brown. Serve hot with rice.
CRISPY MEAT BALLS
- Chicken (minced) - 350g
- Onion - (finely chopped) 2
- Mint (chopped) - 1tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1tbsp
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2tsp
- Roasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Green chilli (chopped) - 2 tsp
- Bread crumbs - 2tbsp
- Salt - to taste
In a food processor process the minced chicken with all the ingredients to a stiff smooth mixture. Make small roundels of the mixture and deep fry them in oil. Serve with pudina or any other chutney.
- Parse fish - 4 lTurmeric, chilli powder, salt - to taste
- Tamarind water - 2 tbsp
For batter –
- Besan - 2tbsp lFlour - 1 tbsp lEdible sods - ½ tsp lGroundnut powder - 2 tbsp lPosto - 2 tsp
- Chopped green chilli - 2 tsp
- Mustard oil - for frying
Clean the fish and marinate with salt, turmeric, chilli powder and tamarind water for half an hour. Saute mildly in hot oil and keep aside. Make batter with all the ingredients except posto with required amount of water. Spread posto on the batter. Now dip the marinated fish in the batter and fry them golden brown.
Pictures by Sanat Kumar Sinha