Former Bihar director-general of police (DGP) Narayan Mishra, whose immovable assets were confiscated by district authorities at two places in Patna following a hi-gh court order last week, se-ems to be in for more trouble.
Sleuths of the special vigilance unit, who had accompanied the district administration’s team to conduct a raid Mishra’s house at Ved Nagar in Rukunpura and two plots at Nepali Nagar, found incriminating documents, hinting at the former top cop’s involvement in a recruitment scam.
Vigilance sources said a diary containing the names and addresses of applicants to the posts of constable, application forms, badge numbers of some policemen and details of transactions of money was seized from Mishra’s plush bungalow, Madhukunj, at Ved Nagar on Thursday.
“The diary seems to have been written by Mishra. The handwriting is similar to his,” said a senior vigilance officer. He said the 1969-batch IPS officer was under the surveillance of the anti-corruption wing of the state government ever since its inception in November 2006.
The officer said the diary would help the vigilance investigation bureau probe into the scam. The government had earlier recommended a CBI probe because it involved senior police officers. The central agency, however, refused to take up the investigation citing shortage of manpower.
Mishra, against whom a disproportionate assets case was filed shortly before his retirement in 2007, was charged with favouritism and shielding the allegedly corrupt police officers.
He had also reportedly failed to disclose the source of income amounting to Rs 35 lakh to the investigating agency. “The new facts that have come out from the diary will throw light on the recruitment scam,” the officer said, adding that Mishra was the DGP when the recruitment boards were set up.
About a dozen IPS officers, appointed as chairpersons and members of the recruitment boards, have already come under the vigilance scanner.
An officer involved in the investigation of the scam said the government had constituted a three-member committee comprising former DGPs Anand Shanker, Manoje Nath and D.N. Gautam to probe into the allegations. Shanker had submitted his report to the home department in 2010.