Clue 1. Brolly, parapluie, Hanway and bumbershoot are all colloquial terms for this item. Clue 2. Batman’s nemesis The Penguin, Mary Poppins, Jiminy Cricket and Mrs Gamp (Dickens’s character in Martin Chuzzlewit) carried it. Still thinking…? Here’s Clue 3. Century, Citizen, Mohendra Dutt and K.C. Paul manufacture them in Calcutta. That’s a giveaway. You are absolutely correct. The answer is: Umbrella. The actual origin of the umbrella is lost in time but according to Chinese legend it was used as a shade against the sun in 2000 BC and was a distinct symbol of rank. The Chinese are also credited with first waxing their paper parasols and making them waterproof.
1. The first Otis elevator in Calcutta was installed sometime in the late 19th Century in which famous building?
Debasree Sinha, Calcutta
2. Which philosopher’s birthday is celebrated as Teacher’s Day in Taiwan?
Pradip Mondal, Bankura
3. How do we better know the actor Johnrao Prakashrao Janumala?
Somnath De, Calcutta
4. Who is the Patron Saint of bookkeepers, accountants, stock-brockers and tax-collectors?
Indrani Ray, Calcutta
5. Against which team has Virender Sehwag scored the most number of runs?
Sayan Naskar, Calcutta
6. Who is the director of the 2012 film The Amazing Spiderman?
Prateek Ghosh, Calcutta
7. ‘Do take care of yourself, literature demands it’, was the last letter written by Graham Greene to which author?
Malini Roy, Calcutta
8. In which Indian city would one find the artificial Lake Sukhna?
Rohan Ghosh, Calcutta
9. Who has won the Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards the most number of times in the Best Actor category?
Aheli Roy, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
In the Mahabharata, Jamadagna was a skilled archer and his wife Renuka was so devoted that she would go and collect all the arrows he shot. One day she ran after an arrow and could not return till nightfall, and she blamed the heat of the sun for her delay. Jamadagna got angry and decided to shoot at the sun, however the sun apologised and offered Renuka an umbrella, thus giving it divine origin.
ANSWER & WIN
Which is the only country to incorporate an actual building in its national flag?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: email@example.com"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 22.07.12
Aheli Roy, Calcutta
Which Middle Eastern dish has been described in theOED as ‘a savoury ball made with minced meat, paneer, or vegetables.’?
The Answer is: Kofta
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this director
2. Identify this politician
1. Raj Bhavan
3. Johny Lever
4. St. Matthew
6. Marc Webb
7. RK Narayan
9. Rajesh Khanna
WHO AM I ? Shinji Kagawa
POINT OF VIEW 1 Marion Cotillard
POINT OF VIEW 2 Dimple Yadav