Hazaribagh, July 28: A 37-year-old cook of a Churchu-based upgraded middle school sustained severe burns today after accidentally falling into the khichdi she was preparing as part of a midday meal.
Masomat Savita Devi suffered 35 per cent burns and was immediately rushed to Hazaribagh sadar hospital, where her condition was stated to be stable.
Sources said Savita, who is a widow, had been working as a cook for the school for several years. She tripped and fell around 2pm and was immediately rescued and sent to hospital.
DC Manish Ranjan, who visited Savita at the hospital, asked officials to ensure her proper treatment. Ranjan, who was irked by the number of flies hovering around the patients and the lack of mosquito nets, asked the hospital officials to buck up and discharge their duties.
He directed the hospital to depute one doctor and one nurse who would attend to Savita round-the-clock.
I have also asked the authorities to ensure that her bed is cordoned off so that no one get near or touches her, which increases the risk of infections, he said.
Sources, however, said that the hospital lacked proper burns ward and most patients were referred to Ranchi or Bokaro General Hospital often. An ambulance will also be kept on standby in case the patient needs to be referred for specialised medical attention, Ranjan said.