Bhubaneswar, July 16: Around 60 home guards surrounded the office of the commandant, home guards of the Cuttack-Bhubaneswar police, at Unit-I, protesting against fresh recruitments by the department while ignoring the claims of those waiting for reinstatement.
Following opposition, the officials postponed the scrutiny of documents for fresh recruitments. The agitation was called off following an assurance by the authorities that the demands of the home guards would be looked into.
President of the Nikhila Odisha Gruharakhi Mahasangha Sanjay Behera said the officials, instead of recruiting the home guards had removed from their jobs illegally and was preparing to recruit new people. “There was no notification about this fresh recruitment. Whenever some of our friends, who had been discharged without reason, wanted to apply, the assistant commissioner of police (ACP) in charge of the home guards Subash Tripathy said they could not apply for the post,” said Behera.
“I had applied five months ago. I got a call yesterday and so I came today with all my documents,” Goutam Swain, 27, a candidate from Bhubaneswar.
ACP Tripathy said they had chosen some of the résumés that had been submitted earlier and had called these youths to verify their certificates.
Deputy commissioner of police Nitinjeet Singh, who came to the spot, said everybody was allowed to apply for the job and that it was a voluntary service. He said no notification was issued or advertisement published for the recruitment of home guards because it was a voluntary job. “Normally, interested persons submit their résumés at the nearby police station at any time. These résumés come to the ACP home guard’s office where after scrutiny, they are called for further tests,” said Singh.