Here is a geography question: It is a land-locked country in northeast Africa. Its present capital is Juba. It shares its borders with Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central Africa Republic and Sudan. It gained its independence on July 9, last year, thus becoming the newest country in the world. Name it. While you try to recall the answer, did you know that since 2000, four other countries have been added, to take the total number of countries in the world to 196 (193 UN members + Vatican City, Kosovo and Taiwan)?
1. Who won the 2012 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature at the Jaipur Literature Festival?
Abhishek Mohanty, Calcutta
2. Which planet’s most conspicuous feature is the Caloris Basin?
Brinda Gupta, Calcutta
3. Which Indian state is known as the Land of the Lamps?
Soham Chatterjee, Calcutta
4. Which cartoon character is known in Italy as Paolino Paperino?
Sanket Das, Calcutta
5. What is the monetary unit of the Vatican City?
Ria Bannerjee, Calcutta
6. Who was the first Deputy Prime Minister of India?
Avirup Roy, Calcutta
7. Which temple dedicated to Vishnu is nestled between the Nar and Narayan mountain ranges in Uttarakhand?
Rukmini Basu, Calcutta
8. Transvaal of South Africa is known to have the world’s most important deposit of which element?
Arko Deb, Calcutta
9. The Char Kaman in Hyderabad has four arches; three are named Machli Kaman, Kali Kaman and Kaman-E-Sehar-Batil, what is the name of the fourth?
Ratnadeep Bose, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
The four countries are East Timor (2002), Montenegro (2006), Serbia (2006) and Kosovo (2008, partially recognised). Have you got the name of the newest country yet? It’s the Republic of South Sudan.
ANSWER & WIN
Which toy, useful for teaching algebraic group theory, has around 43 quintillion possible solutions?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 24.06.12
Ratnadeep Bose, Calcutta
Which comic strip character was born in the kitchen of Mama Leone’s Italian restaurant, and hence his love for Lasagne?
The Answer is: Garfield
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this footballer
2. Identify this author
1. Shehan Karunatilaka
4. Donald Duck
6. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
9. Charminar Kaman
WHO AM I ? Ash King aka Ashutosh Ganguly
POINT OF VIEW 1 Philipp Lahm
POINT OF VIEW 2 Amish Tripathi