Shillong, July 5: Candidates applying for jobs through the Meghalaya Public Service Commission (MPSC) will have to decide their own fate, as the subjective assessment of job applicants has been brought down to the minimum, while stress has been given on the written examination.
The ratio — 10 per cent of marks from the personal interview, and 90 per cent from the written examination — is already under way for the past few job recruitments held by the commission.
“We are already going towards a stage to bring down subjective assessment of candidates to the minimum. Now, the candidates have to decide their own fate,” commission chairman A.K. Tigidi said.
“To abridge the long queues at the commission’s office here, job aspirants have been encouraged to send their applications online through the commission’s website. Recently, for the posts of lower division assistant, the commission received around 30,000 applications. Of these, 1,166 applications were obtained online,” Tigidi added.
According to the commission website, the benefits of online registration include one-time registration with the MPSC website, filling up of the form once and one can apply for any number of advertised post now or anytime in the future, and establishing the status of one’s application.
“Candidates in far-flung areas like Baghmara in South Garo Hills are also beginning to resort to online application, as that has reduced the expenditure incurred on travelling to Tura or Shillong,” Tigidi said.
Moreover, the commission has opened its cells in Jowai, Nongstoin, Baghmara and Williamnagar, where candidates can submit their application forms.
The commission also plans to conduct written examinations at Jowai and Nongstoin, apart from the existing centres in Shillong and Tura.
New administrative buildings will also come up in Shillong and Tura at a cost of Rs 6 crore and Rs 3 crore, respectively.
Unlike in earlier years, job aspirants today can also expect the results to be declared on the same day of the culmination of the personal interview.
With computerisation coming up in a big way, Tigidi said the results for the last 33 interviews were declared on the same day itself.
Tigidi, who is also a former Andhra Pradesh additional chief secretary, joined the commission in April last year and he will demit office in December this year.
Commission to follow Supreme Court order: The commission has also decided to follow a Supreme Court order in February this year, in matters related to the selection of candidates.
The Supreme Court had held that any employment given beyond the number of vacancies advertised would be unconstitutional and liable to be struck down as null and void.
“This court held that filling up of vacancies over and above the number of vacancies advertised would be violative of Fundamental Rights guaranteed under Articles 14 and 16 of the Constitution,” the apex court had observed.
The verdict came on an appeal by Arup Das and some other persons from Assam, who had challenged Gauhati High Court order by striking down his appointment made by the land record survey department beyond the 160 advertised posts.
Earlier, there have been instances where the commission had recommended names of candidates to be appointed over and above the number of posts advertised by government departments.