New Delhi, June 21: IIT Delhi today joined IIT Kanpur in rejecting the admission reforms proposed from next year, setting the stage for a showdown between the institutes and human resource development minister Kapil Sibal.
What the senate of IIT Delhi rejected, however, was the version of the new Joint Entrance Examination as originally proposed by the Sibal-headed IIT Council — a system that accords weightage to candidates’ Class XII board marks.
The senate did not discuss the compromise offer Sibal had informally made a few days ago, agreeing to accept the IITs’ chief demand of scrapping the weightage to board marks if the institutes were ready to have the reforms from next year.
IIT faculty members, who dominate the senate and have been campaigning against the reforms, said they did not discuss the new offer because it had merely been communicated verbally. “Unless we get a written proposal, we won’t give any feedback. The faculty has no trust in the government,” an IIT Faculty Federation official said.
The IIT Kanpur senate had earlier this month rejected the reforms and decided to hold its own entrance exam. Faculty federation secretary A.K. Mittal said IIT Delhi and IIT Kanpur might come together to hold a separate entrance exam and the other IITs would be free to join them.
Federation sources said the senates at IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur and IIT Roorki were expected to take similar decisions within a month.