Guwahati, June 21: The Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) called off its 12-hour Guwahati strike tomorrow after a Gauhati High Court order went in their favour, allowing them to hold a memorial meeting in memory of the three persons killed in police firing on June 22 last year during a protest rally seeking land pattas for hill dwellers.
Acting on the writ petition filed by the KMSS yesterday, Justice Hrishikesh Roy today directed the Kamrup (metro) administration to allot a suitable ground with a capacity of not more than 300 people to hold the meeting.
The district administration acted swiftly by allotting the Sampabati High School ground at Dhirenpara but the KMSS turned it down because it was “unfit” for the meeting.
Confirming the development, KMSS Kamrup district branch president Sabita Lahkar said the organisation has withdrawn the strike in view of the high court ruling.
“But the Sampabati High School field is not fit to hold the meeting. So we have decided to hold the memorial meeting in front of Ruhul Ali’s house,” Lahkar said. Ruhul Ali was the nine-year-old boy who was killed in the Dispur incident.
The KMSS Kamrup district branch and Brihattar Guwahati Unnayan Committee Aikya Mancha had called the strike yesterday in protest of the Kamrup (metro) administration’s refusal to allot Sonaram High School playground as the venue to hold the memorial meet.