TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

LPG fire injures woman, children

Three members of a family received burns when a leaking LPG cylinder caught fire at their Sidhu-Kanhu Basti home in suburban Bagbera, 5km from the heart of the city, on Wednesday morning.

Mamta Devi (45) and her two children — Vinay Kumar (20) and Rosy (14) — have been admitted to Tata Main Hospital, where the homemaker’s condition is said to be serious.

The incident took place around 10.30am, when Mamta was cooking meat for lunch. She suddenly noticed a spark in the tube connecting the gas cylinder to the oven. But, before she could raise an alarm she was engulfed in flames.

Rosy first rushed to her mother’s rescue, followed by Vinay. Both were injured as the fire leaped out of control. While Mamta sustained over 70 per cent burns, Rosy received 55 per cent and Vinay 30 per cent.

Bagbera OC Rajendra Dubey confirmed that LPG leak had caused the fire. “We are waiting for a proper statement from the victims or their family members,” he said.

This was the third LPG fire mishap in and around the steel city in two months. On April 23, three persons — including a 24-year-old woman and a toddler — suffered fatal burns in Kadma. In the last week of May, a middle-aged woman died in Sidhgora.

Residents alleged that whenever a fire caused by LPG leak took place, police refused to probe the mishap properly. “Instead, they leave investigations to the company concerned. Officials from the gas firm delay probe again. As a result, the real cause behind such fires remains undetected,” one of them said.

Sources in LPG distribution agencies claimed leaks in cylinders were mostly caused by pilferage.