There is only one temptation between my weight-loss programme and me — that frozen food that was first eaten in China in 600 AD. That delicious delight that was originally made from buffalo milk, flour and camphoris. That mouth-watering craving that is really made up of air (indeed) and under a microscope has a structure almost identical to that of lava. That sinful pleasure that comes to us in a variety of flavours including vanilla, the most popular variant of them all. Before the suspense melts in the summer heat...you’ve got it. Ice cream! Enjoy.
1. Who is the only player to be a part of two different teams that have won the IPL?
Mira Bhowmick, Calcutta
2. In which country is the Mahayana Buddhist monument Borubudur located?
Bony Chakraborty, Calcutta
3. According to legend, by what name do we more commonly know the former dacoit Ratnakar?
Tushar Singhania, Calcutta
4. In which director’s film did Jaya Bachchan make her acting debut?
Roshni Agarwal, Calcutta
5. The first Shatabdi Express ran from Delhi to which historically important city?
Priya Kundu, Calcutta
6. Which Mughal ruler coined the name Allahabad for the erstwhile city of Prayag?
Mahua Dey, Calcutta
7. Who was the author of Curiosa Mathematica and Notes on the First Two Books of Euclid?
Debapratim Das, Calcutta
8. Who was the first woman director of the Bombay Stock Exchange?
Nilanjana Ghosh, Calcutta
9. Which city was planned by Vidyadhar Bhattacharya on the request of Sawai Jai Singh II?
Ayan Bose, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
Ice cream sundaes were invented when it became illegal to sell ice-cream sodas on a Sunday in the American town of Evanston during the late 19th century. To get round the problem some traders replaced the soda with syrup and called the dessert an ‘Ice Cream Sunday’. They replaced the final ‘y’ with an ‘e’ to avoid upsetting religious leaders.
ANSWER & WIN
Which Indian musical instrument derives its name from the Sanskrit words for ‘clay’ and ‘body’, as it was originally made from hardened clay?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 27.05.12
Ayan Bose, Calcutta
Which is the only organisation to have won the Nobel Peace Prize thrice?
The answer is: International Committee of the Red Cross
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this famous composer
2. Identify this actor
1. Yusuf Pathan
4. Satyajit Ray
7. Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
8. Deena Mehta
WHO AM I ? Vikram Chandra
POINT OF VIEW 1 Andrew Lloyd Webber
POINT OF VIEW 2 Yami Gautam