TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

TFA is doing fine, say Tatas
- ‘No U-10 player struck off’

Tata Steel cleared the air on the premier soccer cradle Tata Football Academy (TFA), in the news in the last couple of days for the wrong reasons.

Sanjiv Paul, TFA board of management chairman and Tata Steel vice-president, on Thursday said they were looking into the public tiff between TFA senior manager M.R. Bhalla and coach Kausar Ahmed on Wednesday.

“We are looking into the matter and appropriate action will be taken,” Paul said.

The steel major clarified its stance regarding the TFA’s Under-10 training programme, saying that the cradle had not excluded any player and all 67 boys were attending the training for the past one year.

Reacting to the report published by The Telegraph on June 6 that only 25 boys had been selected for “special training”, the company’s newly appointed chief of corporate affairs and communications Charudatta Deshpande said: “Trainees have been segregated in three groups.”

Deshpande categorically added that no boy had been struck off the list.

“The training for 67 Under-10 players in three different batches was being planned. The TFA has always communicated directly to all parents concerned before making changes.”

The communications chief denied that TFA senior manager Bhalla had any hand in the matter.

“He does not interfere in technical matters such as selection. He only offers administrative support to the coaches. Segregation of boys in three groups was done in 2011. Adjustments are being made by coaches depending on the progress of boys.”

Deshpande added that the cradle was exploring the possibility of holding training sessions six days a week.