Hazaribagh, June 6: A para teacher has been accused of poisoning his 23-year-old wife, who died at Hazaribagh sadar hospital early this morning, hours after consuming cough syrup.
Dhirendra Mahto, 28, a teacher with a primary school in Jharpo village of Ichak block, denied the allegations of his mother-in-law, who said that he handed his wife Mamta Devi the poisoned syrup after she complained of an uneasy throat yesterday.
The victim’s grandfather, Tukam Mahto, who also took a spoonful of the syrup to check if it was spiked, was admitted to Ranchi-based RIMS in a critical state this morning.
The couple, married for two years, paid a visit to the victim’s mother at Edla village of Simaria in Chatra district yesterday. Before leaving, Dhirendra gave Mamta a cough syrup as she was complaining of throat problems, asking her to take a dose of the medicine at 8 in the night.
Mamta’s mother Ghutani said that the victim followed Dhirendra’s advice and took the syrup at 8pm. The victim and her grandfather, who lost consciousness, were rushed to a local clinic in Simaria, but doctors referred them to sadar hospital, 53km away.
Around 11.30pm, the duo was admitted to sadar hospital. But four hours later, Mamta breathed her last. Doctors referred her grandfather to RIMS.