The legendary Neil O’Brien conducted the DI Open Quiz for the 42nd year in a row. Here are a few beauties from the quiz. 1) What is the profession of a Yettie? 2) What do the French
commemorate in an annual public holiday called Freedom and Peace Day? 3) What is the
difference between prone and supine? 4) Casket, sarcophagus, bier, cenotaph and coffin —
which among these is the odd one out, and why? 5) Why is the fielding position ‘slip’ so named?
6) Columbus’ sailors brought syphilis to Europe, from America. What two diseases did they take to the American natives? 7) Which thriller writer died on an island called Goat Island?
1. Balram Halwai is the main protagonist of which Man Booker winning novel?
Soumendu Ganguli, Burdwan
2. In his autobiography, which leader did M K Gandhi describe as his mentor and his guide?
Arun Roy, Calcutta
3. By what name is the Executive Mansion now known in the United States?
Mayuri Bose, Calcutta
4. Which animated film was originally titled King of the Jungle?
Rajib Ghosh, Calcutta
5. In which language did Babur write his autobiography?
Nibedita Dey, Calcutta
6. Of the reptiles, which animal has the most highly developed brain?
Soumya Majumder, Calcutta
7. With which famous cricket ground would one associate Harris Garden?
Akash Pradhan, Darjeeling
8. Nok, Dhamala and Patka are diferrent styles employed to tie what?
Payal Saha, Calcutta
9. Who was the first person to win the National Award for Best Actor from the Government of India?
Rajiv Palit, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
Here are the answers! 1) A young person who owns or runs a technology company (Young, Entrepreneurial, Tech-based Twenty-something) 2) The day the hostilities ended in Europe after World War II, on 8 May 3) Prone is lying on your stomach, while supine is lying on your back. 5) Cenotaph, the only one that does not contain a body. 6) As the fielder is required to cover the slips of the bat 7) Small Pox and Measles 8) Ian Fleming
ANSWER & WIN
Which famous manuscript written by a young Belgian was retrieved by Miep Gies during the Second World War ?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to:
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 20.05.12
Rajiv Palit, Calcutta
What is the satellite mapping tool, similar to Google Earth and Wikimapia, started by ISRO called?
The answer is: Bhuvan
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this
2. Identify this
1. The White Tiger
2. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
3. White House
4. The Lion King
7. Lord’s Cricket Ground
9. Uttam Kumar
WHO AM I ? Priscilla Chan
POINT OF VIEW 1 Dwayne Smith
POINT OF VIEW 2 Sidney Sheldon