New Delhi, May 31 (PTI): An Interpol Red Corner notice was today issued against Fasih Mehmood, an engineer from Biharís Darbhanga district, for his alleged involvement in criminal cons-piracy in Chinnaswamy blasts in Bangalore and the explosion at Jamia Masjid in the National Capital.
Interpol issued the Red Corner notice against Mehmood on a request from CBI for offences of terrorism and crimes involving the use of weapons and explosives, the official website of the international police said.
Interpol, which does not have the authority to issue arrest warrant as this is the domain on sovereign member states, issues Red Corner notice requesting provisional arrest of wanted persons with a view to extradition.
Mehmood, who is understood to have been detained in Saudi Arabia pending a formal request from India for his deportation, is alleged to have played a role in conspiracy behind the Chinnaswamy blasts at Bangalore on April 17, 2010.
He is likely to be deported shortly from there, official sources said.
The sources added that according to the terrorists of the banned Indian Mujahideen arrested during last nine months, Mehmood had allegedly played a role in the September 2010 Jamia Masjid blasts.
His wife, Nikhat Parveen, approached the Supreme Court yesterday seeking a direction to the government to trace the whereabouts of her husband, who was allegedly picked up by Indian intelligence agencies from their residence in Saudi Arabia.
A bench of justices K.S. Radhakrishnan and J.S. Khehar had issued notices to the ministries home ministry and external affairs seeking their response by June 1, when the plea of the woman would be taken up for hearing.
Nikhat had pleaded that the government should reveal the whereabouts of her husband, an engineer hailing from Darbhanga.
She claimed that her husband was picked up on May 13 for purported terror links, from their home in Saudi Arabia, where he had been working for five years.
Nikhat feared that he might be subjected to cruelty and harassment after being allegedly picked up from his residence at 1pm (Saudi time) at Al Jubail, kingdom of Saudi Arabia, on May 13. Since then, he has not been heard of.
Following Nikhatís plea, the Supreme Court asked the Union government to explain the disappearance of Mehmood.
Nikhat also made similar representations to the PMO and the police of Bihar, Delhi, Karnataka and the NIA, but to no avail, her petition claimed.
Acting on her plea that her husbandís disappearance was the 14th in line of Muslim youth from Darbhanga, the court issued notices to Bihar, Maharashtra, Delhi, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.