Over the past few years, the legendary American game show Spell Bee has been dominated by children whose parents have emigrated from India over the last decade. So it is but natural that Spell Bee should come here. I am both honoured and privileged to host this competition on national television. Catch spelling champs from 32 cities battle it out every Saturday or Sunday, at 9.30 a.m., on a popular news channel. We have kept the format of the show slightly different from our American counterparts. Here, the students must not only know the spelling but also how to apply that knowledge. Happy spelling!
1. Whose birthday is observed in India as National Sports Day?
Sayak Roy, Calcutta
2. Which Asian footballer playing for Manchester United, has been nicknamed Double Hearted Oxygen Tank?
Pranjal Kishore Sharma, Assam
3. Which company launched its first blimp, named Pilgrim, in 1925?
Rita Chatterjee, Calcutta
4. Which legendary actor was the first recipient of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award?
Jayadev Sahoo, Odisha
5. Where in India would you find the tea auction centre which is the world’s largest for CTC tea, and second largest for tea, in general?
Ashikul Islam, Assam
6. What is the name of the mountain in South Dakota, on which the faces of four former US Presidents are carved?
Sagnik Ganguly, Calcutta
7. What is the outer portion of the sun’s atmosphere, which is only visible during a total solar eclipse, called?
Sagnik Mitra, Assam
8. How do we better know the poet Syed Athar Hussain Rizvi?
Benjamin Sangma, Calcutta
9. Which musical instrument was named and patented in 1840 by the French instrument maker, Alexandre Debain?
Aroop Mondal, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
The first winner of an official spelling bee was Frank Neuhauser who, at 11, won the 1st National Spelling Bee in Washington D.C. in 1925. The winning word was ‘gladiolus’. He was invited to meet the then US President Calvin Coolidge at the White House, a presidential tradition that continues till date.
ANSWER & WIN
Which is the only organisation to have won the Nobel Peace Prize thrice?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 13.05.12
Aroop Mondal, Calcutta
The question asked was: Which was the first Indian film whose dialogue soundtrack was released in the market?
The answer is: Sholay
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this singer
2. Identify this famous personality
1. Dhyan Chand
2. Park Ji Sung
4. Devika Rani Roerich
6. Mount Rushmore
8. Kaifi Azmi
WHO AM I ? David Hussey
POINT OF VIEW 1 Abida Parveen
POINT OF VIEW 2 Verghese Kurien