Relatives mourn Sumit’s death in Bokaro on Friday. Picture by Pankaj Singh
The poor success rate in this year’s matriculation examination, the results of which were declared on Thursday, had a prompt impact on the suicide graph with two students ending their lives in Bokaro and Dhanbad while another in Giridih landing at hospital after a similar bid.
All three examinees had failed in the Jharkhand Academic Council-conducted exam, which saw the pass percentage plummeting to an eight-year low.
Sixteen-year-old Sumit Kumar, a student of Bokaro Ispat Vidyalya at Sector I-B in Bokaro steel city, hanged himself from the ceiling fan of his room with the help of a nylon rope around 6.15pm on Friday.
No family member was present at the Sector I house at the time of the incident. Sumit’s mother is in Delhi with his father, where the latter is undergoing treatment at AIIMS. His elder brother, cousins, uncle and aunt were also away.
Younger of the two brothers, Sumit was serious about studies. But he failed to clear two subjects and was depressed ever since the result came out. He had even told a neighbourhood friend that he did not want to live. However, he did not leave behind any suicide note.
City police have recovered the body and send it for post-mortem. “We are looking into the reasons behind the death of the teenager,” said Bokaro superintendent of police Kuldeep Dwivedi.
In neighbouring Dhanbad, the body of a 17-year-old student of Tasra Government School, Sindri, was found hanging from a ceiling fan at her home on Thursday evening. Jyotsna Kumari, who was a domestic help, failed to qualify the matriculation exam.
According to police, the results may be a reason for Jyotsna to take the extreme steps.
Giridih saw a student of Sir JC Bose Kanya Uchha Vidyalaya trying to end her life by consuming mosquito repellent hours after learning that she had not cleared the matriculation examination.
Farhat Perween, who is recuperating at Giridih sadar hospital, went to a nearby cyber café on Thursday to check her result. To her shock, the girl found that she had failed.
A shattered Farhat returned to her residence at Jagpatri Mohalla in Muffasil and informed her parents about her dismal performance. In the evening, she consumed poison but her alert parents rushed her to Giridih sadar hospital immediately.
“It would have been difficult to save the girl had not she been brought to the hospital on time. She is now out of danger now,” said a doctor.
A relative said that Farhat confined herself in a room soon after returning from the cyber café on Thursday.
“She didn’t even take lunch. But we never thought that she would take such an extreme step. It was pure luck that a family member saw her gulping down the mosquito repellent and she was soon rushed to hospital,” he said, adding that Farhat was an average student but they never thought that she would fail in the exam.
The secondary success rate stood at a dismal 67.35 per cent this year.