Tagore Trivia to celebrate Rabindra Jayanti: a) The Child is his only original poem in English. b) In 1926, he travelled to Italy as Benito Mussolini’s guest. c) He started painting in 1928, at the age of 67. d) The article on Rabindranath Tagore on the Nobel Prize website was written by Amartya Sen. e) Tagore misplaced the original manuscript of Gitanjali in the London Underground but later recovered it from the Lost and Found section.) In 2010, a special train called Sanskriti Express was launched, which travelled to all the states in India, to showcase his works. Each coach on the train was dedicated to dance, music, literature or art.
1. Who was the first recipient of the Kalinga Prize awarded by Unesco?
Saurabh Pandey, Calcutta
2. In the Nato phonetic alphabet, which is the only language that is denoted by a letter?
Preeti Agarwal, Calcutta
3. Who has been named Professional Footballers’ Association Player of the Year for the year 2012?
Nayana Dey, Calcutta
4. Kalsubai Peak, the highest point in Maharashtra, is in which mountain range?
Abhishek Basu, Calcutta
5. Who wrote the pamphlet justifying Britain’s role in the Boer War, for which he was knighted?
Soumik Mukherjee, Calcutta
6. The Nobel Prize medal in which category has been designed by Gustav Vigeland?
Nandini Sen, Calcutta
7. Other than Adele, which other female vocalist has won six Grammy’s in one night?
Sounak Kasyapi, North 24 Parganas
8. Benjamin is the middle name of which Marvel comic book superhero?
Ritam Routh, Patna
9. While travelling, Dome, Ridge, Avian, Pyramid, Hoop and Wedge are different types of what?
Shilpa Roy, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
Tagore wrote the song “He nuton dekha dik ar bar… Jonmero prothomo shubho khhon…” for his birthday. He would celebrate his birthday on Poila Baisakh as the students of Visva-Bharati used to enjoy summer vacation at that time.
ANSWER & WIN
Which nonsense poem by Lewis Carroll deals with the hunting of an ‘inconceivable creature’ by a crew of 10 whose descriptions all begin with the letter B?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 22.04.12
Shilpa Roy, Calcutta
According to the World Bank, which is India’s richest state?
The answer is: Maharashtra
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this actress
2. Identify this ornithologist
1. Louis de Broglie
3. Robin van Persie
4. Sahyadri range
5. Arthur Conan Doyle
WHO AM I ? Kevin Systrom
POINT OF VIEW 1 Parineeti Chopra
POINT OF VIEW 2 Dr Salim Ali