Bhadreswar, April 24: A Hooghly police officer accused of raping the wife of a burglary suspect was removed from duty this evening.
A senior officer said “the medical report is not in favour of the victim but we will continue the investigation”.
Officials clarified that the OC was taken off duty to ensure that the probe remained impartial and it should not be construed as any suggestion of guilt.
The rapid action and cautious statements reflected a new-found sensitivity, the absence of which on a few earlier complaints of rape had landed the government and the chief minister in controversies.
The alleged victim had said in her complaint that the officer in charge of Bhadreswar police station had called her and raped her in his residence yesterday.
The OC denied the allegations and said he had been framed.
Two medical examinations had been carried out on the 26-year-old lady. “I questioned her and her husband. The medical report is not in favour of the victim but we will continue the investigation,” DIG Basab Talukdar said.
Another officer said forensic tests would be conducted with samples taken from the victim and the accused.