As we bid farewell to Chaitra, and enter the month of Boishakh, we look forward to a few sharp spells of evening rain to bring the mercury down. April 14 marks the New Year in a number of other states as well: it’s Rongali Bihu in Assam, Vishu in Kerala, Maha Vishuva Sakranti in Odisha and Puthandu in Tamil Nadu. Traditionally, Bengali Hindu traders start the accounting in the Halkhata on this day and many consider it an auspicious day to begin a new business or venture. Will the New Year shower its blessings on KKR as they take on Kings XI Punjab tonight? Let’s wait and watch. Meanwhile, a belated Shubho Nobo Borsho to you!
1. Which Harry Potter character is named after the Roman goddess of wisdom and commerce?
Upasana Kumar, Calcutta
2. In honour of which mathematician has Dr Manmohan Singh declared 2012 as the National Year of Mathematics?
Bushra Nazir, Kharagpur
3. Other than Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore, which other Indian was included in Time magazine’s list of 20 Most Influential Asians of the 20th Century?
Sanchita Roy, Calcutta
4. Which political party did George Washington represent?
Rishika Das, Calcutta
5. Besides Koyla, in which other film starring Shahrukh Khan has Hrithik Roshan been credited as an associate director?
Saurav Chatterjee, Calcutta
6. Who was the first speaker of the Lok Sabha?
Rohit Kumar Dutta, Calcutta
7. How do we better know the footballer Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite?
Arijit Gupta, Calcutta
8. Whose private aeroplane is known as Shepherd One?
Arshad Ahmed, Calcutta
9. As of February 2012, which currency has the highest combined value of banknotes and coins in circulation in the world?
Kirti Basu, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
One ritual followed in all the football clubs in Calcutta is the Goalpost Pujo, where the goalpost is worshipped and all the players take a shot at the goal after that. A football receives as many offerings of flowers and as does the Narayan shila.
ANSWER & WIN
Which Hindu god shares his name with a term used by Jewish people for a week-long mourning period?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 01.04.12
Kirti Basu, Calcutta
The Special Marriage Act, 1954, extends to the whole of India, excluding which Indian state?
The answer is: Jammu and Kashmir
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this actor
2. Identify this chess player
1. Minerva McGonagall
2. Srinivasa Ramanujan
3. M S Swaminathan
5. Karan Arjun
6. G V Mavalankar
8. The Pope
WHO AM I ? Vanya Mishra
POINT OF VIEW 1 Armie Hammer
POINT OF VIEW 2 Magnus Carlsen