New Delhi, Mar 27 (PTI): With Norwegian telecom operator Telenor claiming damages from India for cancellation of its 2G licences, the government on Tuesday said the legality of the notice could be examined within the parameters of Indian law.
Corporate affairs minister M Veerappa Moily said he has not seen the letter from Telenor, which faces the prospects of its Indian venture losing its 22 licences due to the Supreme Court order that has in all cancelled 122 licences of new 2G players.
The Norwegian company, which owns 67.25 per cent stake in Unitech Wireless through its unit registered in Singapore, served a notice on the government, threatening international arbitration if a solution was not found
I am yet to see the letter. We can examine it legally within the parameters of my Ministry, he told reporters outside Parliament House.
The Supreme Court had last month ordered cancellation of all 122 mobile licences awarded in 2008 under the then Telecom Minister A Raja. That included 22 licences of Telenor.
Asked about Telonor's threat that it will go to international court, if the government fails to find a solution, Moily said the issue will have to be examined within the parameters of Indian law.
There is a thing like a rule of law. Whether you go to international law...but we will have to examine within the parameters of our law and the law of the land, Moily said.
Meanwhile, Telenor spokesman Glenn Mandelid said in a statement, We have informed the Government of India of our intent to invoke the provisions of the CECA (Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement) between India and Singapore.