With editions in 282 languages, it is the largest and most popular general reference site on the Internet. Created by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger, it began as a complementary project for Nupedia, and was formally launched on this day in 2001. Yes, I am talking about everyones favourite online encyclopedia. While doing a search of 15 Jan on Wikipedia, I realised that today is also Army Day in India. On this day, in 1949, Lieutenant General K.M. Cariappa (later Field Marshal) took over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from Sir Francis Butcher, the last British commander. Q. In India, if 15 January is celebrated as Army Day, when are Air Force Day and Navy Day celebrated? Heres to our Armed Forces. Jai Hind!
1. The spacecraft Juno will orbit which planet believed to be the first to take shape around the sun?
Daniel Goswami, Jamshedpur
2. How do we commonly know the disorder paresthesia?
Kaustav Das Gupta, Varanasi
3. McMurdo and Palmer are two major ports of which ocean?
Sneha Pandey, Kharagpur
4. How do we better know the actress Mumtaz Jehan?
Tanima Ghosal, Calcutta
5. Which gemstone is known as ratnaraj in Sanskrit?
Mousumi Kar, Howrah
6. Who established Americas first national park, in Florida in 1903?
Manojit Sanyal, Calcutta
7. In which city of India was the first radio telescope installed?
Soham Chatterjee, Calcutta
8. The Puranic name of which Indian river is Satadru?
Deep Dutta, Asansol
9. Who became the first woman and first Asian to be elected President of the United Nations General Assembly?
Shriya Vipin, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
Air Force Day: 8 October; Navy Day: 4 December. According to the International Institute of Strategic Sciences, with a strength of 1,129,900 active personnel and 960,000 reserve personnel, the Indian Army is the worlds largest standing volunteer army.
ANSWER & WIN
Alleppey finger, Rajapore and Nizamabad bulb are popular varieties of what in India?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: email@example.com"
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 25.12.11
Shriya Vipin, Calcutta
Mimas, discovered by William Herschel in 1789, is a moon of which planet?
The answer is: Saturn
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this singer
2. Identify this sportsperson
2. Pins and needles
3. Antarctic Ocean
6. Theodore Roosevelt
9. Vijayalakshmi Pandit Identify this sportsperson
WHO AM I ? Cyrus Mistry
POINT OF VIEW 1 Adele
POINT OF VIEW 2 Kris Humphries