Yesterday, July 2, was exactly the half way mark of 2011. The first half had its share of Breaking News, from Arab Spring uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya, to the catastrophic earthquake and resulting tsunami in Tohoku, Japan. We celebrated in April with the ICC Cricket World Cup. May started off, quite literally, with a bang: Osama killed in Pakistan. We wont tell you what happened on Friday, May the 13th…suffice to say that 13 is this columnists lucky number. Good luck for the second half of 2011.
1. Which daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne, in Greek mythology, also shares her name with a popular advertising award?
Subhashish Biswas, Howrah
2. In India, only two princely states issued paper currency. One was Hyderabad, which was the other?
Angan Mukherjee, Calcutta
3. Which scientist made Ragnar Sohlman and Rudolf Lilljequist, both chemical engineers, executors of his will?
Gayatri Duttagupta, Birbhum
4. Which fictional town is located on the banks of the river Sarayu?
Krishna Majumdar, Jamshedpur
5. What is usually measured in Paris point, a unit of length equal to 2/3 of a centimetre (0.2625 inch)?
Paromita Basak, Murshidabad
6. At Jawaharlal Nehrus suggestion, which word was used in the first postage stamp featuring Mahatma Gandhi?
Tapati Sen, Calcutta
7. In Tirupati, which famous singer received the title of Asthaan Sangeet Vidwaan Sarloo (Court Musician of the Shrine)?
Goutam Sanyal, Burdwan
8. Which Unesco World Heritage site was the first headquarters of the Indian Army?
Nelly Biswas, Calcutta
9. Till date, which Indian bowler has conceded the most number of runs in Test cricket?
Bidisha Pandey, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
The Glass-and-a-half of full cream dairy milk advertising campaign began in 1928 and served Cadbury Dairy Milk admirably.
ANSWER & WIN
How do we popularly know the flowering plant named Lawsonia inermis?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: email@example.com"
Quiz published on 19.06.11
Bidisha Pandey, Calcutta
Which painter designed the original flag of Bangladesh hoisted 2 March 1971 at Dhaka University?
The answer is: Quamrul Hassan
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this economist
2. Identify this cricketer
2. Jammu and Kashmir
3. Alfred Nobel
7. Lata Mangeshkar
8. Red Fort
9. Anil Kumble
WHO AM I ? Sarah-Jane Dias
POINT OF VIEW1 John Lipsky
POINT OF VIEW2 Samit Patel