TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Youth kills self as friend sleeps

Jamshedpur, June 3: A 20-year-old man was found hanging from the ceiling fan of his rented residence in Mango this morning, triggering a controversy over whether he killed himself or was killed.

Though police maintained that Ravi Dey — a native of Chandankyari in Bokaro who worked at an electrical appliance store in Bistupur — had committed suicide, relatives claimed the youth had no reason to do so.

Ravi shared his room at the two-storey house on Desh Bandhu Road under Olidih police station with another youth, Jitendra Chandan (25), who worked at a separate business establishment in the city. They were also friends with two other youths staying as paying guests in an adjoining room.

Last night, the four returned from their respective workplace, had dinner around 11pm and retired to their rooms. When Ravi’s roommate woke up around 5am today, he apparently saw the youth hanging from the ceiling fan with a towel.

“It was a terrible shock. The person who ate with us yesterday was hanging from the ceiling fan. We brought down the body. It had turned cold,” Jitendra said.

The landlord, S.K. Ghosh, was informed and he reported the matter to Olidih police.

After preliminary probe, officer in charge sub-inspector N.K. Das said it was a case of suicide though they were yet to ascertain the reason behind it. “We did not find any suicide note, but marks on the neck, which happen when someone hangs himself, were not found. So, no foul play,” Das said.

Ravi’s uncle, Romendra Mondal, who stays in Mango, however, refused to buy the police version. “He had rang up his mother yesterday morning, like he did every day. There was nothing he said to her that could hint he was planning such an extreme step,” he said, adding that his nephew was soft-spoken and had no enemies.

The youth’s father, Gopal Dey, is likely to arrive in the steel city later in the evening. Police are waiting to question him on the possible real reason behind what they say is suicide.

The body has been sent to MGM Medical College for post-mortem.

Email This Page

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Consumer forum gropes in the dark
  • Village ideas on chief secy table
  • Raid heat on ex-JPSC man
  • Rebel hunt on in Khunti villages
  • Dispose of bodies now, DC tells RIMS
  • Autos on strike, commuters suffer
  • Engineer found dead in Haryana
  • Cycles for 1 lakh lucky schoolgirls
  • FIR against alert mukhiya
  • Tribal warriors return in toon avatars
  • Traders raise pitch on night train ban
  • Maoist missus in Montessori miss avatar
  • Youth kills self as friend sleeps
  • Former cop eyes LS leap on progress plank
  • Soren ready for 'friendly' fight
  • Oven-fresh start for Ghaghidih prisoners