| A Sony VAIO E Series laptop
q+a I bought a Samsung Galaxy 551 mobile phone with Android 2.2. I want to create, share and edit Microsoft Word, Excel files on it. Please suggest a good Android app (free or paid).
What you need is the Documents to Go version 2.0 for the Google Android mobile platform. The new version of the popular office suite brings the enterprise-grade productivity tool to Android devices such as the HTC Hero and Samsung Galaxy, as well as several upcoming Android phones. The 2.0 enhancements include:
* Microsoft PowerPoint File Support: A Slideshow To Go component allows viewing, editing and creating PowerPoint presentations. Includes support for Microsoft Office 2007 file formats.
* Adobe PDF File Support: The PDF To Go component allows you to view Adobe PDF files with options for page view, word wrap, multiple zoom levels, auto-rotate, bookmarks, search, select and copy text, and support for password-protected files.
* Enhancements for Microsoft Word & Excel File Support: Viewing and editing new and old Word and Excel documents, including capabilities for find and replace, word count, number formatting, sheet formatting, contextual menus, improved selection modes and scrolling, optimisations for touch, and a Live Folder of recently used documents.
* A free, non-expiring version is available for all Android-based devices. It allows for viewing Word and Excel files and attachments. The full feature set can be unlocked with a key.
Documents To Go 2.0 is available through the Android Market for free in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. The full version costs $29.99.
q+a I have a Compaq C772TU laptop. While others receive the signal properly even when it is weak, mine doesnt. It only catches it when its very strong, but the Net connection is slow. The WiFi card is from Atheros. I use Windows XP Service Pack 3. Can I correct the problem without replacing the device?
Return the system and get another one, but ensure it has at least an Intel 4965 or Intel 5100 WiFi card. A friend of mine changed to an Intel 5100, and his WiFi problems, very similar to yours, have gone.
When buying laptops make sure they come with an Intel WiFi card, not of Atheros, Broadband or something new in the market. The retail outlets from which we purchase laptops rarely state the brand name of the WiFi card.
If return is not an option, buy a Linksys Network USB adapter. As for your router, Apples WiFi solutions like Airport Xpress, Airport Extreme and Time Capsule are the best, followed by Linksys and NetGear.
q+a I want to buy a laptop (within Rs 50,000). Itll be mainly for playing the latest games (at their moderate graphics details, at least). I will also run multimedia software and see HD movies on it. Please suggest an appropriate configuration.
Buy a Sony VAIO E Series laptop or a MacBook Pro. The Mac might cross your budget, but you will get the best gaming experience.
VAIO E Series is equipped with a 15.5 (39.37cm), 16:9 Real Wide display with Full HD 1920x1080 pixel array for Full HD videos and installed with ATI Mobility Radeon GPU for high-resolution video gaming, and Intel Core i3-370M Processor 2.40 GHz. It also has Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Other features:
*15.5 (39.37cm) wide (Full HD: 1920x1080) VAIO Display Plus, LED backlight
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics
* Instant web browsing: Quick Web Access button
* Isolation keyboard with 19mm full key pitch and numeric keypad.
The model number is VPCEB36FG/L and it costs Rs 49,990.
q+a Please suggest the best Internet security kit amongst McAfee, Kaspersky and Zone Alarm. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium Original. I use my PC for Net banking. Is there any other way to purchase such software online without a credit card?
Since you are using a genuine version of Windows 7, you dont have to spend a rupee on this. You are entitled to the exceptionally good Microsoft Security Essentials. Your PC will be safe from viruses and malware.
For the latest and the best, visit www.telegraphindia. com/knowhow/bitsnbytes.appcorner.
Send your computer- related problems to firstname.lastname@example.org. The solutions will appear soon.