Darjeeling, Sept. 10: A relay hunger strike currently going on in the three hill towns will be converted into an indefinite fast from September 17, said the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha.
The party had been organising the hunger strike since August 1 to demand that Morcha central committee member Nickole Tamang, a prime accused in the murder of ABGL leader Madan Tamang, be produced alive in court.
Nickole had been arrested by the Darjeeling police on August 16 but he allegedly escaped from the CID custody from Pintail Village on August 22.
The CID had said in its chargesheet that the investigators had recovered Nickole’s cellphone with dual SIM cards from the murder site at Upper Clubside Motor Stand in Darjeeling. Madan Tamang was killed by a khukuri-wielding mob in broad daylight on May 21.
“The relay hunger strike which is taking place in Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong will continue till September 16. Instead of the relay hunger strike, we will now go in for an indefinite hunger strike from September 17,” said Binay Tamang, assistant secretary of the Morcha.
The indefinite fast will, however, be held only in Darjeeling. “The indefinite hunger strike will be organised in front of the Darjeeling district magistrate’s office by our youth front members. Seven members of the youth wing will take part in the fast,” said Binay.
Two Yuva Morcha members each from Darjeeling and Kalimpong will take part in the fast, while Kurseong, Mirik and Siliguri will be represented by one supporter each.
The chief judicial magistrate’s court in Darjeeling has issued an order to attach the properties of the 23 people named in the chargesheet filed by the CID. The accused are currently absconding. The CID had made a prayer for such an order when it had submitted the chargesheet to the court on August 30.
The 23 people were booked under sections 147/148 (rioting/rioting with deadly weapons), 149 (unlawful assembly), 427 (mischief causing damage), 506 (criminal intimidation), 302 (murder) and 120 (conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code.
Sources said the court had issued the attachment order between September 4 and 8 and it was now the duty of the police to implement it. The same court had issued an order in August to freeze the bank accounts of 10 people accused in the Madan Tamang murder case.