A fire gutted a first-floor sari printing factory in Khagen Chatterjee Lane near Cossipore on Sunday afternoon.
Ten tenders took 20 minutes to bring the blaze at Vibgyor Print under control. No one was injured as it was a Sunday.
Nine wooden tables and 250 iron frames used for “screen painting” saris were burnt. Later, the asbestos ceiling caved in.
Firemen suspect the blaze, spotted around 12.30pm, was triggered by an electrical short-circuit.
Inflammable items such as chemicals, paints, adhesive and saris were stored in the factory. Electrical wires dangled from the outer walls.
“The factory has a fire licence but the management is not conforming to any of the safety guidelines. We are considering lodging a complaint against the owner (Anil Kumar Bhartiya),” said Gopal Bhattacharya, the director of the fire and emergency services. No complaint was, however, lodged till the evening.
The factory is housed on the premises of Suraj Jute Mills, which comprises 60-odd workshops and godowns, including that of plastic goods, saris and paper products.
Firemen said the blaze could not spread as rain had dampened the walls of the buildings. “Had the fire spread to the adjacent units, it would have been difficult to control.”