TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Fire in congested Jugsalai

Jamshedpur, April 24: Household items were gutted when a fire broke out at a residence in congested Jugsalai today. Fire tenders doused the flames quickly, preventing it from spreading in the market.

The fire, which broke out at 1.30am, gutted a bed, mattresses, doors and baskets.

“Luckily, the fire tenders doused the flames fast. Local residents also pulled out the LPG cylinders from the kitchen. If the fire spread, it would have engulfed shops dotting the busy Jugsalai market,” an onlooker said.

Sources said that the fire resulted from a dispute over the house between brothers, Sarabjeet and Manpreet Singh and the former started the fire. The brothers, however, blamed a short circuit. Residents pulled out Manpreet and his mother (70) from the house as Manpreet has a limb fracture.

Jugsalai police station officer in-charge B.N. Sinha said they were investigating the family dispute angle.

“We have interrogated one of the brothers (Sarabjeet). But he claims that fire broke out due to a short circuit. But residents believe that one of the brothers had intentionally set the house on fire,” he added.

Jugsalai is a bustling market and is one of the business hubs of the city. Several shops, business establishments and homes are spread in the locality, basically known for wholesale trade. High tension in the overhead electricity cables also hang precariously throughout the market.

Top
Email This Page