Today is World Animal Day. In all the negativity about selfish poaching and mindless cruelty, let us dwell on two positive footnotes. Recently, a student, working on a butterfly project, sighted the Yellow Crested Spangle, a rare butterfly species, which was last spotted about 100 years ago. Then there is this story of the Banggai Crow being taken off the extinct list. If these are happening closer home, you may want to buy your dog an extra bone to celebrate this special day.
1. In which Indian state is Pichavaram, the second largest mangrove forest in the world?
Sadhan Dutta, Hooghly
2. The medical term Anosmia describes the loss of which vital sense in man?
Udayan Chatterjee, Calcutta
3. The national emblem of which country shows an image of the famous Tiananmen Gatetower?
Mousumi Ganguly, Kalyani
4. Which French impressionist painter wrote Noa Noa about his life in Tahiti?
Amlan Chaudhuri, Calcutta
5. If you were at the Purnululu National Park, which country would you be in?
Argha Mookherjee, Calcutta
6. In the honour of which footballer has the Sikkim government built a stadium at Namchi?
Sujata Sahu, Ranchi
7. The increase of which acid in the bloodstream causes gout?
Jonathan Biswas, Howrah
8. In which month is International Literacy Day celebrated by Unesco?
Tushar Pal, Jamshedpur
9. Who wrote romantic novels under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott?
Richa Lal, Ranchi
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
When an extinct species is rediscovered, its called a Lazarus species.
ANSWER & WIN
In 2009, for which film did Darshan Zariwala win the National Award for Best Supporting Actor?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: email@example.com
||Identify this sportsperson
POINT OF VIEW
1. Name this politician
2. Identify this actor
1 Tamil Nadu
4 Paul Gauguin
6 Bhaichung Bhutia
7 Uric acid
9 Agatha Christie
WHO AM I ? Joshna Chinappa
POINT OF VIEW 1 Virbhadra Singh
POINT OF VIEW 2 Michael Gambon