Last week you read about Indias quizzing ranis through the 1960s and 70s. In the 80s, two ladies left an indelible mark. Saranaya Jayakumar, a housewife from Calcutta (now a grandma in Chennai), was the pivot of a quiz team called Motley Crew. The soft-spoken Tamilian is my pick for the Mother of Quizzing in India. She consistently performed exceptionally in a male- dominated mind sport and carried her vast knowledge with grace and humility. Then there was Dayita Datta, now vice-principal of Welham Girls, Dehradun, who won Mastermind India — the desi version of BBCs legendary programme. Next week: more quizzing ranis.
1. Who was the director of the film Taare Zameen Par?
Shraddha Reddy, Calcutta
2. Which accessory is sombrero a type of?
Partha Sarkar, Calcutta
3. The common name of which creature comes from the Greek skiouros, meaning shade tail?
Ranjit Prasad, Durgapur
4. Which is the largest gland in the human body?
Debojyoti Hazra, Belur
5. What is the national flower of Pakistan?
Ankur Golchha, Jalpaigudi
6. Which waterfall located in the Guiana Highlands is also called Salto ChurúMerú?
Sundari Mohan Purohit, Calcutta
7. Which musician played the role of Lata Parekh in the film Dance Like A Man?
Aakash Basu, Calcutta
8. Which English footballers autobiography is My Story So Far?
Kaustav Rajpandit, Santaldih Thermal Power Station
9. Who was the first president to occupy the White House?
Namita Sinha, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
The first woman train driver in India was Surekha Yadav.
ANSWER & WIN
Which Man Booker Prize winner is the author of Between the Assassinations?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 5.7.2009
Namita Sinha, Calcutta.
How do we know the sportsperson Edson Arantes do Nascimento better?
The answer is Pele.
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
POINT OF VIEW
1. Who is this author
2. Identify this sportsperson
1 Aamir Khan
6 Angel Falls
7 Anoushka Shankar
8 Wayne Rooney
9 John Adams
WHO AM I ? Shamita Shetty
POINT OF VIEW 1 Orhan Pamuk
POINT OF VIEW 2 Bojan Krki Pérez