TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
CIMA Gallary
 
Email This Page
Exposed wires take boy’s life

Calcutta, June 13: A two-year-old playing near the exposed electrical wires of a water pump on Syed Amir Ali Avenue died today, possibly of electrocution.

The family of Rehan Alam said the baby was playing this morning near a roadside water tap that is close to the pump. The area around the tap was wet.

“He asked to drink milk, so his mother went inside the house to get it. When she stepped out again, Rehan was lying near the tap. There was foam around his mouth,” said Putul Bibi, the boy’s grandmother.

Rehan’s family lives in a one-room tenement on the premises of Ballygunge Park Day School on Syed Amir Ali Avenue. Four other families too live in the compound.

Rehan’s mother Arzu Parveen, who works in a call centre, blamed the school’s management and guards. She said the school authorities had made no effort to cover the wires despite being told repeatedly.

“The guard who lives in the building switched on the pump but did not stay back to see that a child was playing nearby. The moment he saw my grandson fall, he went inside the building and locked himself in,” Putul said.

Rehan was rushed to hospital but had died by then. The school is shut for summer holidays and no one was available for comment.

Top
Email This Page