TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
CIMA Gallary
 
Email This Page
Gas project on fast track

Guwahati, Feb. 23: Dispur is optimistic that the gas cracker project being executed by the Gas Authority of India Limited-led joint venture company, Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL), will be completed on time.

“The project will be completed on schedule and the government will provide all support for its implementation,” industries minister Pradyut Bordoloi said today.

The project is scheduled for completion within 60 months from the date its foundation stone was laid by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on April 9, 2007, at Lepetkata in Dibrugarh district.

The construction of the project’s buildings is on in full swing and efforts are on to complete these before the commencement of the monsoon.

The joint venture company is promoted by GAIL with 70 per cent equity participation and the remaining 30 per cent equity is being shared equally by Oil India Limited, Numaligarh Refinery Limited and the Assam government.

Bordoloi said work of more than Rs 310 crore was being executed at the site and financial commitment of more than Rs 1,450 crore had been made. “Additional contracts of around Rs 290 crore are planned for next month.”

BCPL has acquired 3,000 bighas of land for the plant at Lepetkata and 45 bighas for the compressor station at Duliajan. The consultant for manpower recruitment has been appointed and the process of appointing engineering graduates in various disciplines has started.

Tenders for construction of BCPL and CISF townships have been floated and are slated to be awarded by April. The construction work is being planned for completion by September.

All the statutory clearances, including environmental clearance, have been obtained and an outdoor consignment transport study has been completed. This will enable preparation of road and water routes for bringing big and heavy consignments to the plant location.

As the plant area at Lepetkata is on a low level, a total of 65 lakh cubic metres of earth/silt is required to raise the level ranging from 0.5 to 3 metres. “More than 180 dumpers are engaged in transportation of silt/earth to the plant area,” the minister said.

The feedstock required for the plant has been ensured by signing agreements with Oil India Limited, ONGC and NRL.

Bordoloi said the implementation of the project would facilitate socio-economic development of the region and generate 780 direct and 100,000 indirect jobs.

Plantation for the development of a green belt around the plant area has been planned for completion this monsoon.

Top
Email This Page