TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
CIMA Gallary
 
Email This Page
Jaipur blasts kill man from Malda

Malda, May 15: Last month, Abdul Mannan had left his village in Malda’s Harishchandrapur and travelled hundreds of miles to Jaipur to work and earn some extra money for his children’s education. On Tuesday evening, the 30-year-old rickshaw-puller was killed when a series of blasts shook the Pink City.

Mannan was one of nearly 40 men from the Borai gram panchayat area in Harishchandrapur who work in Jaipur. At least three of them were injured in the explosions and are in hospital. Three-four others are missing.

Mannan’s wife and three young children were inconsolable after the news of the death reached Nihar village, around 100km from here, this morning.

The pradhan of the Borai gram panchayat, Ankhi Begum, said a man named Sheikh Belal had called up to inform the villagers about the Mannan’ death. Belal, too, hails from Borai. He said the body was lying in the morgue of a hospital in Jaipur.

“Those of us who have come here from Borai were worried because at least eight of our men went missing after the blasts on Tuesday evening. We went to all the hospitals and identified the body of Mannan in one. Three others were being treated in different hospitals in Jaipur,” Belal later told The Telegraph over the phone from Jaipur.

Mannan’s elder son Mukaddar and one of his brothers Ibrahim Sheikh left for Jaipur today to bring back the body.

A wailing Mini Parvin, Mannan’s widow, said: “He had left for Jaipur only a month ago to make some extra money to meet the rising expenses of the children’s education. He had sent Rs 4,000 this month. We never dreamt that we would have to carry his body back from Jaipur.”

The whole village contributed money to meet the expenses of bringing the body back from Jaipur.

Mannan’s elder son studies in Class VIII, while the twins Lusi and Molan are hardly eight years old.

The panchayat pradhan said they were worried about the condition of the injured from Borai and the whereabouts of the missing men. “We are in the dark. We have asked for help from the district administration.”

Malda district magistrate Chittaranjan Das said there had been no official communication from the authorities in Jaipur. “We are trying to get in touch with the Rajasthan government,” Das said.

The blasts in Jaipur killed at least 63 people and injured 216.

Top
Email This Page