Calcutta: A sporting New Years Day crowd of about 17,000 cheered all the winners on the cards at the RCTC ground. The crowd left for home happy with sweet memories to savour for the next few months, and it also left the RCTC bookmakers with deep holes in their satchel bags. The layers of odds were in no position to arrest the dominance of favourites. Sevenof them obliged in the afternoons eight-event card.
Surprisingly, the crowd had started gathering much before the start of the first race at noon. It remained stay put till well after the end at 4.10pm – socialising and partying on the spacious RCTC lawns.
As usual, it was owner Deepak Khaitans day. He led-in four winners, including Accalia who, for many, was the spoilsport in the afternoons feature event, the Indian Produce Stakes. The 8-1 shot from trainer Vijay Singhs stable was the one who stopped the Juggernaut of the course-favourites, winning the prized event easily from his better-fancied stablemate, Acrology. Neeraj Rawal partnered the Diffident-Amantran filly to victory. Earlier, the lightweight jockey had costed home with the Star Magic Cup atop trainer Harvinder Singh Baths hot-favourite, Imperial Romance.
Trainer Vijay Singh also lived up to expectations. Accalia apart, he also saddled Oxford Street and Elusive Study to victory in their respective events – the Pat Quinn Memorial Trophy and the Bold Chieftan Cup. The last two were partnefred by Vijay stables first jockey, C. Alford. Trainer Arti Doctor and her jockey C. S. Jodha were the other professionals to notch up a creditable double through the two heavily wagered horses – Supreme Attraction and Apostrophe, who claimed two divisions of the Comedy of Errors Cup, respectively. The lady trainer is having a good run and it is learnt that she is going to strengthen her RCTC string with another half-a-dozen horses from Mumbai.
The one who felt quite content with the days proceedings was the RCTCs chairman, Cyrus Madan. It was a fabulous day. There is more to follow. Just wait and see, he said after the last race.
1. Daring Don Cup 1,600m: (9-1-5-7) Italian Affair (Reuben) 1; Betelgeuse (Rajinder) 2; Highly Fashionable (Malesh) 3; Anniversary Boy (Shabbani) 4. Won by: 5-3/4, 1-3/4, 3/4; (1-41.87). Tote: Win Rs 31; Place: 13, 33, 13; Quinella: 273; Shp: 81; Tanala: 866. Fav: Highly Fashionable (5). Winner trained by Quinn.
2. Comedy Of Errors Cup, Div-I 1,400m: (1-3-6-4) Supreme Attraction (C.S.Jodha) 1; Loughborough (C.Alford) 2; Asmodeus (V.Jaiswal) 3; Big Thrillz (Reuben) 4. Won by: 1-3/4, 7; Lnk; (1-27.75). Tote: Win Rs 15; Place: 10, 14, 31; Quinella: 22; Shp: 29; Tanala: 186. Fav: Supreme Attraction (1). Winner trained by Arti Doctor.
3. Comedy Of Errors Cup, Div-II 1,400m: (3-2-4-6) Apostrophe (C.S.Jodha) 1; Saarah Alam (Mark) 2; Flying Jaguar (Rajinder) 3; Apassionata (C.Alford) 4. Won by: 7-1/2, 3/4; 7-1/2; (1-26.31). Tote: Win Rs 24; Place: 12, 13, 27; Quinella: 22; Shp: 38; Tanala: 333. Fav: Apostrophe (3). Winner trained by Arti Doctor.
4. Star Magic Cup 1,600m: (10-1-2-9) Imperial Romance (Neeraj) 1; Conde Nast (Mark) 2; Oh What A Babe (C.S. Jodha) 3; Royal Ballerina (Islam) 3. Won by: 2-1/2, 1-3/4, 3-1/2; (1-38.89). Tote: Win Rs 14; Place: 12, 20, 28; Quinella: 38; Shp: 46; Tanala: 249. Fav: Imperial Romance (10). Winner trained by Bath.
5. Cico Park Cup 1,200m: (8-11-4-2) Entrepreneur (Reuben) 1; Altissimo (C.Alford)2; Olympic Wonde (Tograllu) 3; Triple Edge (Chisty) 4. Won by: 3-1/2, 3-1/2; 1; (1-13.43). Tote: Win Rs 64; Place: 19, 16, 39; Quinella: 94; Shp: 67; Tanala: 2,153. Fav: Altissimo (11). Winner trained by Corner.
6. Indian Produce Stakes 1,200m: (6-3-2-1) Accalia (Neeraj) 1; Arcology (C.Alford) 2; Sensational Star (Chisty) 3; Piato (Malesh) 4. Won by: 2-14, 3-3/4, 1; (1-13.37). Tote: Win Rs 96; Place: 31, 18; Quinella: 154; Shp: 38; Tanala: 884. Fav: Piato (1) . Winner trained by Vijay.
7. Pat Quinn Memorial Trophy 1,200m: (11-1-13-4) Oxford Street (C.Alford) 1; Cromwell (Israil) 2; Cool Magic (Chisty) 3; Hoofbeats (Malesh) 4. Won by: 1-1/4, 2; Hd; (1-12.39). Tote: Win Rs 15; Place: 11, 31, 34; Quinella: 106; Shp: 94; Tanala: 1,021. Fav: Oxford Street (11). Winner trained by Vijay.
8. Bold Chieftan Cup 1,100m: (2-9-10-6) Elusive Study (C. Alford) 1; Italian Splendour (Tograllu) 2; Our Dragon (Chisty) 3; Aptitude (Rajinder) 4. Won by: 4-3/4, 1-3/4, 1/2; (1-6.47). Tote: Win Rs 15; Place: 12, 25, 17; Quinella: 81; Shp: 70; Tanala: 198. Fav: Elusive Study (2). Winner trained by Vijay.
Jackpot: Rs 1,871; (C) Rs 467.
Treble: (i) 386; (ii) 224; (iii) 229.
For live action, log on to www.telegraphindia.com/race