The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Flower mission turns fatal

Raiganj, Aug. 28: A girl out to pick flowers for Rakhi early this morning was jolted by a 240volt electric shock in a trap set by her neighbour.

Ruma Rajbangshi, 13, is now in hospital with burnt hands.

Local doctor Sanjay De said Ruma was lucky to be alive. “The current would have caused a cardiac arrest had it gone near her heart.”

She had tried to pull down the branch of a tagar plant from the other side of Utpal Saha’s boundary wall in the Debinagar area of the town.

“I needed some flowers to put in the rakhi for my cousin,” the girl said.

The local councillor said Saha had been told not to lay a live wire around his garden.

But when Ruma’s father Adhir Rajbangshi, a rickshaw-puller, went to the Raiganj police station, the officer in charge refused to take down the complaint. “He asked me why my daughter was stealing flowers,” said Adhir.

North Dinajpur police chief S.B. Purnapatra said he would look into the matter. “The father should submit a complaint directly to me.”

Top
Email This Page