The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Soren lawyers upbeat

Ranchi, July 30: Lawyers of Shibu Soren contesting his conviction in the Shashinath Jha murder case were upbeat after they concluded their arguments in the Delhi High Court today.

The CBI counsel reportedly fumbled for words during the hearing. The central agency had been asked to prove that the body exhumed from Piska Nagari, a village near Ranchi, was that of Jha. “To keep the accused (Soren) behind the bars, you come out with evidence. There should be proper links between all incidents and links among witnesses,” the court said.

Soren’s counsels submitted the written statements of what the arguments they were making since July 19. The hearing will continue tomorrow.

According to Soren’s lawyers, they first challenged the credibility of eyewitness Charu Oraon and other two witnesses — Gautam Sharma and Sudarshan Soni. Their main arguments were based on the fact that the CBI could not have relied on Charu’s statement made four years after the said incident.

The Supreme Court has said that the delay of even one-day by an eyewitness could not be relied upon, pointed out a lawyer. Moreover, Charu did not reveal it to the police, but to Gautam Sharma, who had a running feud with the Mehta family. Two of the members of the Mehta family were also convicted along with Soren.

Top
Email This Page