The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Fire at Telephone Bhawan, broadband services affected
The battery room where the fire broke out. Picture by Pradip Sanyal

Kolkata, Jul 17 (PTI): A fire broke out today in the battery room of the multi-storey Telephone Bhawan, the BSNL headquarters at BBD Bag area disrupting broadband services across the city.

Apart from broadband services, which have one lakh subscribers in this metropolis, some local networks for landline users and points of interconnectivity (poi) were affected by the fire, a BSNL spokesman said.

The fire broke out in the “national internet backbone project” system adjacent to a power room. Personnel spotted smoke billowing out of the room on the second floor and called the fire brigade.

Firemen at work. Picture by Sumanballv.

There were no casualties, fire brigade officials said.”We can't immediately assure broadband subscribers when normal services will be resumed,” the spokesman said.They also said that five tenders fought the flames for nearly two hours to bring the blaze under control.

The cause of the fire and the loss of equipment were being ascertained, officials said.

Top
Email This Page