The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
14 get life term for ’89 massacre

Bhagalpur, July 7: Fourteen persons convicted for the massacre in 1989 were awarded life imprisonment today.

The court of seventh additional district and sessions judge Shambhunath Mishra who found them guilty on June 18 in the massacre, which left 116 dead in Logain village, 26km from here, on October 27, 1989, announced the verdict.

The court, however, rejected the appeal of the prosecution which had earlier demanded capital punishment for all the convicts.

Those who were awarded life imprisonment include then officer in charge of Jagdishpur police station Ramchandra Singh (60), village chowkidar Thakur Paswan (70), Sukhdeo Mandal (82), Saryu Prasad Singh (75) Arjun Mandal (65), Jadu Mandal (75), Ramdev Mandal (70), Subash Mandal (37), Prabesh Mandal (47), Siv Lal Mandal (48), Naresh Mandal (55) Kuldip Mandal (36) and Ajablal Mandal (32).

One of the convicts, Jaiprakash Mandal (45), who managed to escape the court soon after the judgment was pronounced on June 18, was also awarded life imprisonment.

Altogether there were 24 accused in the case when several “outsiders” had streamed into Logain in morning and killed members of the minority community, destroying property and burying them in a mass grave over which they planted cauliflower to camouflage the butchering.

While victims’ families welcomed the verdict, relatives of the convicted said they would move the high court against the judgment. “We will get justice there,” said Jaiprakash Singh, the son of Ramchandra Singh.

Email This Page