Airport uproar as flights return Trouble broke out at Calcutta airport when two flights to Port Blair returned because of bad weather. A Jet Airways flight took off at 5am but returned at 9am. An Air Sahara flight took off at 7.30am but returned around noon. More than 180 passengers refused to get off the plane after waiting on board for over 50 minutes. They demanded seats on another flight, which the airline officials refused. Later, 178 passengers took a refund on their tickets.
Blood for DNA test refused A day after the row over bodies at NRS Hospital morgue, family members of Krishna Ghosh, who drowned in a pond in Kasba, refused to give blood samples for a DNA test to identify the body. n Wednesday, Ghosh and Uttam Das, both in their 40s, died in separate mishaps. Uttam was run over by a train. Uttam’s family was allegedly given the body of a drowned man. Krishna’s son declined to accept the body which the hospital claimed was his father’s. Police were asked to conduct the DNA test to avoid confusion.
Found dead Birbal Ghosh, in his early 40s, was found dead in his apartment on New Road, in Alipore, on Wednesday night. Police were called in after neighbours saw the front door of Ghosh’s apartment closed till 11am. He was taken to SSKM Hospital, where doctors declared him dead. Preliminary reports suggest Ghosh had suffered a massive cardiac arrest.
Train services Services on Eastern Railway’s Sealdah South section were disrupted between 6.30am and 7.45am on Thursday, when the panel board of route relay interlocking cabin at Beleghata was inoperative. Sources said services resumed at 8.35am. Fifteen pairs of local trains were cancelled.
Trapped at home Durgadas Kundu, 93, and his wife Ilarani, in her mid-70s, were trapped inside their two-storeyed house on Rabindra Sarani when a tree fell on their building, blocking the doors and windows. Fire brigade personnel took 90 minutes to rescue the couple.
Hall fire A fire broke out at Kala Mandir on Thursday morning (picture below), creating panic among the participants of a meeting. Police said around 9.45am, smoke started billowing out of the hall’s basement. Five fire tenders took two hours to douse the flames. Preliminary reports said a short-circuit was responsible for the fire.
TO MAHESHWARI PUSTAKALAYA for organising a free personality development workshop for students