The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Red makes HC entry

Cuttack, June 24: Several leaflets of Maoist literature was found on Orissa High Court premises yesterday.

The leaflets are about the proposed two-day economic blockade, to start from June 26 by the CPI (Maoist) to oppose the formation of special economic zones (SEZs) and other development projects.

The printed material in Oriya was smuggled into the court premises by “three unidentified persons”, who had gained access to the High Court Bar Association hall, which remained open for lawyers even though Saturday was a holiday.

“Preliminary investigations reveal that at least 20 leaflets were left on one of the several tables inside the hall between 3pm and 3.30pm on Saturday,” said Cuttack superintendent of police Saumendra Priyadarshi. “The leaflets contained statements of the Naxalites announcing their plans on the SEZ and other development projects,” Priyadarshi added.

Interestingly, a local TV channel correspondent had reportedly informed the police about the Maoist leaflets lying on a table inside the hall between 3.30pm and 3.45pm, sources said.

A senior state intelligence officer, requesting anonymity, said: “Though a number of posters had been seized from the border areas of Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Bengal and Orissa, this is the first time that the police have come across any statement of the rebel’s central committee announcing the blockade.”

Meanwhile, with the SEZs and other development projects figuring on the red hit list across the country, the Centre has alerted states to gear up their machinery for the proposed two-day economic blockade to start from June 26.

Top
Email This Page