The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Politics learnt, it’s time for business
- Results with ST shortfall

New Delhi, April 27: After a 15-day crash course in Indian politics that no management school can teach, hundreds today learnt whether they would make the Class of 2007 at IIMs.

The IIM results began pouring out this afternoon, shortly after the Centre sent a directive to release the general category list for this academic session. The results were originally scheduled to be declared on April 12.

IIM Ahmedabad announced “admission offers for 250 seats” in the general, SC, ST and PWD (person with disability) categories — the same as in the 2006-07 session — and not 280 as indicated when candidates were shortlisted.

But out of the 250 announced, offers have gone to students for only 239 because seats reserved for Scheduled Tribe students could not be filled up. Usually, such seats are allocated later after training students from the category who showed potential but did not make it to the first list.

Another 52 candidates have been put on the waiting list. The last date for accepting the admission offer is May 14.

The institute said it would offer admission to 30 additional seats if the reservation for OBC students is implemented and the human resource development ministry sends a directive.

IIM Bangalore will kick off its preparatory course from the first week of June and regular classes from the first week of July. Students whose names have been released would have two weeks to accept or reject the admission, instead of three weeks.

The ministry had earlier sent two directives asking central institutions not to release the general and OBC admission lists after the Supreme Court stayed the 27 per cent quota.

“The offer of admissions for the ensuing academic session in central educational institutions shall until further recommendations be limited to the approved intake… during the academic session 2006-07 as per the policy of reservation prevailing for that session,” the HRD directive said.

It added that no offers of admission should be made on seats proposed to be expanded “until further communication”.

Yesterday, the Centre decided to give the green signal to the general category list and keep the option of OBC admissions open till the court hearing on May 8.

“The UPA-Left parties have agreed to the admission of non-reserved categories according to last year’s formula,” HRD minister Arjun Singh said at a news conference today.

Asked what the government intended to do if the court ruled out OBC admissions this year, he said: “When the stage comes, we shall see. We will have to decide the manner in which we can function.”

The question was raised at yesterday’s UPA-Left meeting. “We may have to seek a presidential reference to get a hearing by a full bench of the Supreme Court,” CPM politburo member Sitaram Yechury had said later.

The Centre’s decision has been welcomed by the IIMs, which have been somewhat reluctant to increase their seats and infrastructure to accommodate the quota bill. The government is likely to wait as long as possible to see if the OBC students can join from this academic year.

Top
Email This Page