The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
‘Young team’ rethink not on cards
- Despite Bangladesh’s shock win over South Africa...

Calcutta: Bangladesh’s shock win over South Africa came less than 10 hours after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced that the national selectors had been directed to send a “young team” to Bangladesh, but the Proteas’ defeat isn’t forcing a rethink.

Not now at least.

“Unless the president (Sharad Pawar) gives a directive, there can’t be any change in what has been decided upon. The only other way is for the working committee itself to withdraw its directive. However, no meeting is scheduled in the next few weeks,” BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah told The Telegraph on Sunday.

He added: “Also, what’s the guarantee that a particular team alone can win'”

Bangladesh, it may be recalled, thrashed us in our World Cup opener and quickly put the Rahul Dravids on the road out of the biggest tournament.

Now, they’ve knocked South Africa off the No.1 spot in ODI rankings.

Shah, by the way, indicated that the BCCI would actively look at the option of asking Ravi Shastri to continue beyond Bangladesh.

India’s newest coach (designated cricket manager) has a number of high-profile TV assignments coming up, though.

Perhaps, only a Pawar will be able to persuade Shastri — assuming it reaches that stage, that is.

Meanwhile, it’s possible that the Bangladesh-bound players are going to be picked by April 15.

“A camp will have to be held for two reasons. First, Shastri has to meet and understand the players and, then, the players need to come together before what has become an important tour,” Shah said.

The three ODIs and two Tests are to be played between May 10-29.

Top
Email This Page