The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
NBU talks tough, cancels BEd paper

Raiganj, Jan. 29: The undergraduate council of North Bengal University has decided to cancel the January 22 examination of Moulana Abul Kalam Azad BEd College.

The decision was taken after the BEd students assaulted the visiting team of the university headed by Phani Mondal, the principal of Raiganj College, on that day.

The students of the institute located in Itahar, 20 km from here, had been told by the supervisers not to adopt unfair means during the examination.

Explaining the decision, the NBU controller of examinations Dilip Sarkar said the results of the students of the college in question will be withheld. “Whether or not the re-examination will be held this year (in which case the students have to appear only for the cancelled paper), can be decided only after the college authorities make an appeal,” said Sarkar.

The council has also served a show-cause notice on principal of the college Santosh Kumar Saha, condemning what had happened on that day and his failure to react to the incident.

Sarkar said the council had met during the day solely to discuss the complaints filed separately by Mondal and the deputy-controller of examinations Debasish Dutta who had visited the BEd college on January 24.

Mondal, who was injured by a stone hurled by students, had submitted a report to NBU vice-chancellor a day after the incident. He had blamed the college authorities for the chaos on campus. Apparently, the authorities had not been cooperative and had made the visiting team wait for 35 minutes before allowing them in. Not only that, the authorities did not intervene when the examinees demanded “extra time” to finish their papers.

The principal of the BEd college, who is not a member of the undergraduate council, had also been summoned to attend the meeting today.

According to Sarkar, Saha has been asked to explain why he had had not lodged any complaint with the police against students who had assaulted the visiting members.

The governing body of the college has been asked to ensure that the reply to the showcause notice reaches the university at the earliest.

Later, Saha told reporters: “I must say that it was most unfortunate that the council arrived at a decision, depending solely on one-sided reports submitted by the visiting team.” He added that the college authorities would decide on future course of action after consulting the governing body.

The students of the college have expressed anger over the council’s “one-sided decision”. “Tomorrow, we shall sit for the fifth paper as usual. Under no circumstances shall we accept the cancellation,” said a student.

Mondol, however, has welcomed the council’s decision. “As teachers, we can never think of causing any harm to students. But it is difficult for us to consider the attackers our students.”

Top
Email This Page