The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Official surrenders in sex racket case

Jammu, June 21: Former Jammu and Kashmir additional advocate-general Anil Sethi, who had been evading arrest in connection with the sex racket in the state, surrendered today.

Anil, along with his brother Sunil Sethi and several lawyers, walked into the court of judicial magistrate (first class) Amit Sharma around 3.45 pm and surrendered.

The 37-year-old was one of the accused named by a victim of the sex racket.

Anil, the son of retired Supreme Court judge R.P. Sethi, had been absconding since the CBI took over the probe of the sex scandal about a month ago. The investigating agency had announced a reward of Rs 2 lakh to find Anil.

In his brief statement in the court, Anil said he has been unnecessarily named as an accused.

It was, however, not known where he had been since May 24, when he was last seen in Jammu.

Police took Anil into custody on transit remand for three days. He will be taken to Srinagar and handed over to the CBI, official sources said.

The CBI had yesterday arrested former ministers Ghulam Ahmed Mir and Raman Mattoo from Delhi and Srinagar, respectively, in connection with the case.

Anil has been in the thick of controversy since January, when a sting operation showed him allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 20 lakh. He was caught on camera taking the bribe to dilute a corruption case being heard by his father, then the chairman of the State Accountability Commission. Anil was the additional advocate-general at that time.

Anil was forced to quit the post after a criminal case was registered against him following the expos'. Later, his father also quit the State Accountability Commission citing the government’s indifferent attitude towards the commission and its members.

After his name surfaced in the sex scandal last month, Anil filed a public interest litigation on May 24 in Jammu and Kashmir High Court saying he was being framed for not being party to the corrupt practices of law minister M.H. Baig and advocate-general Altaf Naik.

Thereafter, nothing was heard about him and he was declared an absconder.

Top
Email This Page