The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Sack XI scan law book

New Delhi, Dec. 24: Within a day of being thrown out of Parliament, many from the Money-for-Posers XI have begun talking to lawyers to see if they could challenge their expulsion.

Some of the BJP’s six shamed MPs today got into a huddle to explore ways of launching a joint fight.

One of them, Chandra Pratap Singh ' who had gone into hiding yesterday like most of the other 10 ' told The Telegraph about the “informal” meeting. He said legal and constitutional experts are being sounded out on the possible line of attack: the accused being denied any opportunity to defend themselves in Parliament.

This was the BJP’s stated reason for opposing the expulsions.

Singh, who represented Siddhi in Karnataka, said not all six from the BJP had come together but “some of us have consulted each other”.

His party colleague and partner in the XI, Pradeep Gandhi, complained that the only other MP to have ever been expelled, H.G. Mudgal in 1951, had been issued a 45-day notice. But the fate of the XI was decided in 11 days flat and that, too, without giving them a chance to have their say.

Another axed BJP member, Annasaheb M.K. Patil, left for Mumbai today. An aide of the lone expelled Rajya Sabha member, Chhatrapal Singh Lodha, also of the BJP, said he, too, was working out a legal strategy.

Other than the BJP’s six, the XI includes three from the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and one each from the Congress and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).

RJD member Manoj Kumar would be glad to fight it out but is unsure whether that would be a good idea. “I am talking to my lawyers. If they so advise, I shall go to court,” he said. “If they don’t, I have no choice.”

BSP member Rajaram Pal has already announced he would move court; but partymen Lal Chand Kol and Narendra Kumar Kushwaha have not revealed their plans.

Email This Page