The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Blasts bleed Bali again

Bali, Oct. 1 (Reuters): Three bombs ripped through popular tourist areas on the Indonesian resort island of Bali today, killing 25 people, including foreigners.

The nearly simultaneous blasts came almost exactly three years after militants linked to al Qaida bombed two nightclubs in Bali, killing 202 people, mainly foreign tourists.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono condemned the latest attack as terrorism.

Till late night 12 bodies had been identified ' 10 Indonesians, one Australian and a Japanese national. Nearly 90 people, including five South Koreans, had been wounded, officials said.

Police confirmed three blasts at separate restaurants packed with evening diners, two at popular seafood eateries on Jimbaran Beach and one at Kuta Beach in an area surrounded by shops.

“People were running for their lives. Foreign tourists were wounded. I am so scared,” said Yosi, 24, a shop owner in Kuta Beach.

The site of the Jimbaran blasts is near the upmarket Four Seasons Hotel.

Inside the badly damaged Raja restaurant and bar in Kuta Beach, a popular eatery, blood was spattered on the floor. Shattered glass from other shops and cafes littered the street.

Yudhoyono said it was too soon to blame anyone for the attacks, which security experts said bore the hallmarks of Jemaah Islamiah, a network seen as the regional arm of al Qaida.

The police have blamed Jemaah Islamiah for a series of attacks against western targets in the world’s most populous Muslim nation in recent years, including the 2002 Bali blasts, which also took place on a Saturday night. They have launched roughly one major attack each year since then.

While the number of foreign tourists dropped sharply after the attacks three years ago, the island’s key industry has since recovered.

Top
Email This Page